LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.23 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 24 00:20:38 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2003 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Egbert van der Steege <steege at elender.hu>
Subject: expresions

Drs.Egbert van der Steege
Budapest Krt. 26 IV 12
5700 Gyula
Hungary
Tel./Fax: (00-36) 66-464 997
(66-465 712)
Mobile: 06-30-395-3500.

Dear lowlands.

I noticed that there were some discussions about "doei" , "aju/ajuus". Well,
like in many countries, in Holland the upper class spoke french in the 19th
century, so it derives from "adieu".To add something interesting. I was born
in Amsterdam, and in the past we used a lot of Jiddisch/Hebrew words. Only
later I found out that it was originally Hebrew. A nice exemple is
"Daga-je". Almost everybody thinks, when they toast that it means:"there you
go".It isn't so. It means "on the life-Lechaim".And what to think about
"smeris"(policeofficer).It comes from the Hebrew word for guard!The
following list I can offer. When somebody has guts, he has "lef"-lev
(hebrew:heart) or a word often used, when something is rather good/cool,
then we use "tof".("tov" means good). " De massel", it means "all the best".
It's Hebrew and has to do with luck.Everybody knew the word "joet" in
Holland ( ten guilders). It's the tenth letter in the Hebrew alphabeth and
it means of course "ten".
("jod"). As a boy I was quite familiar with the words "majem" en "jajem".
They mean "water" and "drinks"(jenever).In Hebrew it means "water" and
"wine". A "lefgozer" is somebody who is showing off. In Hebrew it means a
good bridegroom. And so on and so forth.When I have time I could add some
more.Besides, a very welknown word in Hungarian is "molnar"-it means
"molenaar", a very familiar name.
I tried to look it up in Hungarian etymological dictionaries, but wasn't too
satisfied with the explanation. However, I will continue my research.

"De mazzel en hou je roer recht"
Egbert.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Welcome to Lowlands-L and its "vocal" minority, Egbert!  I'm sure I won't be
the only one who is delighted to hear from you.

Welcome also to the circle of those of us who are interested in influences
from Yiddish (and Ladino)!  Dutch and German have more of those than the
average speaker is aware.  As far as I can tell, Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
received all or most Yiddish loans via German in Germany and via Dutch in
the Netherlands.

> "Daga-je". ... "on the life-Lechaim".
לחים Y. lekhayem < H. l'ħayyim "to life"

> "smeris"(policeofficer).It comes from the Hebrew word for guard!
שמר Y. šoymer < H. šomer 'guard'?
(Y. policiant 'police officer')

> "lef"-lev (hebrew:heart)
לב Y. lev < H. lev 'heart'

> "tof".("tov" means good).
טוב Y. tov < H. tov 'good'

> "joet" in Holland ( ten guilders). It's the tenth letter in the Hebrew
alphabeth
> and it means of course "ten". ("jod").
יוד Y. yud < H. yud 'y'

> "majem"
מיים Y. mayem < H. mayim 'water'

> "jajem".
יים  Y. yayen < H. yayin 'wine'

> mazzel
מזל  Y. mazl < H. mazal 'luck', 'fortune'