LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.07.23 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 23 23:47:34 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich W. Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: Language Varieties

Hi, Lowlanners, Reynhard,

(English below)

wat ick all jümmer weeiten wull:

wenn ick mii mit 'n Ingelten ünnerhaul 'n dauh un em verkloor 'n will, woo
ick leeven dauh, koomt mennigmool dat Woord (LS) "Watt, (UG) "Watt", (E) "
banks [arising at the sea at low tides]" in 't Speel.
Dat mutt ick jümmer "ümschriiven", ofschoonst dat doch woll 'n uuraulet
sassisch 't Woord is.

Wo sücht datt opp de annern Sassisch Sprooken uut?

Kann jo woll ne angohn, wat uutreekent de Ingelten, opp jemme Eiland, door
'n Ümschriiven föör bruukt. Hefft de door villicht noch 'n anner Woord föör,
wat ne inne Wöörböökers stohn deiht?

***

I had been eager to know since times:

talking to British folks and trying to declare where I am living many times
I have to mention the word (LS) "Watt, (UG) "Watt", (E) " banks [arising at
the sea at low tides]".

I always have to circumscribe it, though I am convinced it to be a very old
Saxon word.

What about this in our other Saxonian languages?

It seems ridicoulos that in special people on the British Islands don't have
a special, characteristic word for this phenomen.
Are there perhaps different word(s) I am not able to find in any OXFORD as a
German, just "School-anglizised" reader?

Greutens/Regards

Fiete.

Not Lucifer I fear,
but those almighty Gods.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

[English below]

Fiete, by my heytt "wat" (<Watt>, Nedderlandsch _wat_) _tideflat(s)_ or
_mudflat(s)_ up Ingelsch.  Neem dat wourd "wat" nu nip un nau vun afkamen
is, dat weet ik ook nich vör wiss, kan man bloots gissen, dat 't jichtenswou
mit Ingelsch _wet_ ('nat') un Schotsch _wat_ ('nat') tousamenhangt, also
"land, dat by uploupen water nat wardt".

Fiete, in my book _wat_ (<Watt>, Dutch _wat_) corresponds to English
"tideflat(s)" or "mudflat(s)".  I am not sure what the exact etymology of
_wat_ is, but I could venture the guess that it is somehow connected with
English "wet" and its Scots cognate _wat_, thus "land that becomes wet
during high tide."

Kumpelmenten/Regards,