LL-L "Language use" 2003.07.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 25 15:59:48 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze굷s)

From: Dana Lockhart <lockhdr at wku.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.24 (03) [E]

Lowlanders,

I just wanted to say bravo to Justin Renquist for considering  hosting an
exchange student. As a former exchange student to Germany,I  encourage you,
or
anyone else on this list, to host. Concerning dialects from Hannover; I
asked
a good friend of mine who is from Hannover and is currently studying at my
University your question. She concurred that most people in her age group do
not use Platt. However, this student may be an exception. I know from my own
experiences studying in northern Germany (Coesfeld area) that I was strongly
discouraged, along with my German friends, from speaking/learning dialect.

Even if she she did not speak a lowlands dialect, she may be able to
contribute knowledge about culture etc. I hope you do make the decision to
host. It will be an experience that you will never forget.

Dana Lockhart

----------

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at weblink2000.net>
Subject: Niederdeutsch dialects (LS) in Hanover aand Vechta?

Justin, and Lowlanders:
    In my experience (all two occaisions) niether of my young German
acquaintances could understand my Plautdietsch.  One of them came indeed
from Hanover; the other I could not tell, and neglected to ask.   There were
a few verbs that tripped them up, such as "vestone" instead of "verstehen."
    I wouldn't depend on Low Saxon as a means of communcation with a foreign
exchange student.  She's much more likely to be fluent in English than Low
Saxon.  It's my understanding that among certain elements of society in the
Low Countries that Low Saxon/Low German is regarded as unsophisticated
speech, and brands the speaker as being something like the Beverly
Hillbillies.

Yours, Jim Krause