LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jul 25 15:57:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze굷s)

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.24 (01) [E/LS]

> From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Dear Friedrich and other Lowlanders,
> It is curious that the Deutsches Woerterbuch von
> Jakob und Wilhelm Grimm
> does not seem to acknowledge the meaning
> ''unwillkommener Gast" (E.
> 'unwelcome guest'). It is easy to see how such a
> meaning could develop
> though, one might refer to an unwanted guest as
> 'Herr Urian'.
>
> Interestingly enough Urian occurs as a first name
> and as a family name in
> several countries. In some cases it may be of Hebrew
> origin, but there is
> the case of Urian Oloffson, a Swedish artist who
> lived about 1549.

Hi,

Well, now I'm waking up. Because, reading about the
Swedish Urian Oloffson, I [myself] like now to trace
back Urian with its connotations to this Swedish
person.
And that's because there is an other name-giving like
this: Pappenheim: Ik ken mijn pappenheimers, both in
Deutsch and Dutch.[meaning: don't try to fool me, I
know my people].
Pappenheim was a Swedish general in the 30year-war in
Germany (1618-1648).

Just now I cannot find anything about this Swedish
Urian Oloffson, but I'm curious to know whether he has
been acting in Germany, and what kind of acts he was
doing.

Besides this, in the middleages [and long after] they
had a list of names of the fallen angels of which
Lucifer (who I should not fear, I understand) was the
most important one. And wasn't Urian one of these
names? If so, it is curious to name children after
such a dubious character. (No child was ever baptized
with the name of Lucifer, although we should not fear
him.)

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: Etimology

Hello, respected colleagues, I have always heard my generation and anyone
influenced thereby say "chick" for girl. I have heard that in Britain the
colloquialism is bird. What may be the source of these? Does "bird" have to
do with maternal qualities? If so, why "chick?"

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Interesting question about "chick" and "bird" (above), Ben.  I don't have
the answer to that, am just another inquiring mind joining you.

However, as it often happens, your question triggered other, related
questions:

(1) An Australian English word for "(young) woman" or "gal" (to use an
Americanism to distinguish it from "girl") is "sheila" (formerly spelled
<shaler>).  It appears to be based on the Irish name Sheila.  Someone
(http://www.anu.edu.au/ANDC/Ozwords/December%202001/Sheila.html) has
suggested that the Irish language appears to be the source: _sìle_
'effeminate male', 'male interested in pursuits traditionally allocated to
females'.  I am not totally sure I can buy this explanation.  What do you
think, Lowlanders?

(2) Why can a male be referred to as "guy" in most English dialects?
Etymologists assume it is derived from Guy Fawkes, the English conspirator.
Why would his name be used to refer to "man," "chap," "fellow," "bloke,"
etc.?

(3) Of course, names may well be used as nouns.  An example is "Mary" which
came to denote "female" in various English-based pidgins and creoles
(usually _meri_), including Australian Pidgin, Neomelanesian (Tok Pisin) and
China Coast Pidgin.  Was this due to the prevalence of the name Mary among
Western females in the earlier days of British colonization, or was it due
to the influence of (Roman Catholic) missionaries?