LL-L "Language survival" 2003.07.26 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 26 16:22:00 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze굷s)

From: Friedrich W. Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2003.07.25 (05) [E/LS/German]

Hi, Mike,
nice to see You back!

You wrote/answered:

> From: Mike <botas at club-internet.fr>
> Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2003.07.24 (06) [E]

> (Fiete)
> > There are some things within the heads of people like them You have to
> > erase- but I fear You will not succeed
> > in it with any inforcement.
>
> Of course not, Fiete. Ireland is perhaps the most outstanding
> negative example. My Irish colleagues, some of them fierce
> nationalists hate Irish, because it was forced down their throats.
>
> It takes something completely different. I have pounded upon that
> on every occasion, including in this forum. If I need to explain again:
> No language enjoying a secondary status has any chance, in the
> long run, of surviving intact. Only a primary-status language has.

> It´s a choice: Murder or see your language die. If you choose the latter,
> you have to recognize that you are doing just that. And not put your
> head in the sand.
>
> Nix för ongaud, Fiete!
>
> Mike Wintzer

I don't want to become a murder for language survival, Mike :-)!

But- just 2 hours ago I had a long talk in LS with my son, and my
"Lebensgefährtin" (nearly unable to understand) did ask me, how often I did
train him.
My answer: just 2 or 3 "lessons" a week- in his and in daily, normal themes.
It works, it even is easy- without killing or bombing anyone:-).

But- try to tell that other families. They, I fear, find it "uncommodate",
they are too lazy to response the childen questions, to teach like a teacher
for just 2 hours a week.

No bomb will help there at all, I am sure.

> Nix för ongaud, Fiete!

Door is nix Ungauded bii, Mike- ick kenn joo Diin Ankaschement!

Kumpelment:

Fiete.

----------

From: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2003.07.25 (02) [E]

Lowlanders,
last but not least, I feel to contribute to this topic.I am surprised,
how many of you take care of.

I do live since more than 20 years in Hanover aerea, where I settled via
Flensburg and Hamburg. The place I grew up is Münsterland - not far from
Coesfeld!
 I feel  to have a mission telling the world, that you rather find a
person in and around Hanover even the older ones, that is practicing
Hanoverian Platt. That disappoints me and maybe many of those who read
this lines too. I only know  a few regions, where Plattdüütsch has
disappeared that much: f.ex. the Bielefeld aerea. One can say, the more
you get inside Germany from coast and borders, the less you find it
spoken. The generation, who still was able to use ( but did not ) is
dieing out and with them the whole culture. On the other side close to
the Dutch border in Grafschaft Bentheim even the young ones use their
Nedersassisch which is very close to that spoken on Dutch side of the
border.

I agree with those saying, only a main language can survive. All, "we
Lowlanders" can contribute is, to keep the recollection for those who
might be interested in the generations coming up.

There is no reason to surrender!

Heinrich Becker