LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Jul 26 16:26:07 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze굷s)

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.07.23 (07) [E/LS] /  LL-L "Etymology"
2003.07.23         (01) [E] /  LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.23 (08) [E]

Quote:
I had been eager to know since times: talking to British folks and trying to
declare where I am living many times I have to mention the word (LS) "Watt,
(UG) "Watt", (E) " banks [arising at the sea at low tides]".  I always have
to circumscribe it, though I am convinced it to be a very old Saxon word.
What about this in our other Saxonian languages?

In Dutch it is used in ' 'Waddenzee', the 'Waddeneilanden' in the north of
the Netherlands and 'wad lopen' (walking over the 'wadden' at low tide).

Next quote:
I think <adjüüs> comes from French. I'd say it was borrowed into Low Saxon
at a time when French still pronounced the final /s/. I find it hard to
explain the rounded front vowel if it were derived from Spanish.
Considereing quite a number of other French loans I don't think it's far
fetched.

I am sure that when I was younger, in the Netherlands we used to say
'adieu'.  They also explained to me where it came from: People commended you
to God, in case you died before they saw you again.  Reminds me of the
English saying 'Bless you', when someone sneezes.  That is a leftover of the
times when people would sneeze as one of the first symptoms that they had
caught the 'black death'.  So others would quickly bless you, in case you
'snuffed it'.  That is also the story behind the children's game of
'Ring-a-ring-a-roses' (for those that might not know the song, it ends with
'a pocket full of posies, hateesha, hateesha, we all fall down') - not sure
of the exact spelling -.

Next a question to Egbert van der Steege:  Is 'poen' voor geld ook Jiddisch?

Groeten, Jannie