LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.29 (03) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 29 16:02:04 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.28 (02) [E/LS]

Quote:
But- in our region and also in the city of Hamburgh those big
ditches/channels running to the flood-gates are called (LS) "Wettern". They
are very old. Without them the sorrounding marshlands couldn't have been
settled.
Is it a loanword, or an ancient common Saxonian word, just having survived
in this special meaning?

In Eemdijk, waar ik opgroeide, (net ten zuiden van het IJsselmeer) wordt het
woord 'wetering' gebruikt.  Het is wijder dan een 'sloot', maar geen kanaal
of rivier.

English below:
In Eemdijk, where I grew up (at the southern tip of the IJsselmeer) they use
the word 'wetering'.  It is wider than a ditch, but not a canal, nor a
river.

Groeten, Jannie

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

[English below]
Sünd "wetter" (~ "wedder") un "water" vör wiss verwandt? In 't
Neddersassische (Nedderdüytsche) wardt sey beyde bruukt. Normalerwys' heytt
dat eyrste "wettern" (or "weddern"), un dat bedüydt 'n aard kanaal, dörch
den dat water afloupt, toumeyrst up marsch un moor. My dücht, dat is dat
sülve as "syl" (<Siel>) un dat "wettern" un "syl" in verschillene rebeyden
bruukt wardt, man seker bün ik my nich. My dücht ook, dat dat wourd "syl" in
düssen sin uut 't Vreyssche kümt.

'n "Vleyt" (<Fleet>, <Fleth>) is 'n aard stadkanaal un kümt besünners in
Hamborg vör. Ik meyn, dat kümt vun "vleyten" (<fleten>).

"Gracht" or "graft" wardt in dey westlichen Sassischen dialekten bruukt, un
sey bedüydt ook 'n marschkanaal. Ik meyn, dat kümt vun "graven".

Un nu hev ik noch 'n vraag'. In Hamborg (un annerwegens?) heytt 'n smallen
gang twüschen hüys "twyt" or "twyte" (<Twiet(e)>). Neem kümt dat vun af? Het
dat wat mit "twey" tou douen?

Gröytens,
Reinhard/Ron

***

Are _wetter_ (~ _wedder_) and _water_ really related? Both of them are used
in Lowlands Saxon (Low German). Usually, the former is called _wettern_ (~
_weddern_ ['vEt3`n] ~ ['vEd3`n]), and it denotes a sort of drainage canal,
usually in marshland. I have a feeling it is the same as a _syl_ (<Siel>
[zi:l]) and that _wattern_ and _syl_ are used in different areas, but I am
not sure about this. I also have a feeling that _syl_ in this context comes
from Frisian.

A _vleyt_ (<Fleet>, <Fleth> [flEIt] > German [fle:t]) is a sort of city
canal and occurs especially in Hamburg. I assume it comes from _vleyten_
(<fleten> ['flEIt=n]) 'to flow'.

_Gracht_ or _graft_ are used in the Western Saxon dialects, and they, too,
denote a marshland drainage canal. I assume they are derived from _graven_
['grQ:v=m] 'to dig'.

And I have another question. In Hamburg (and elsewhere?) an alley or narrow
street (Scots _vennel_?) is called _twyt_ or _twyte_ (<Twiet(e)> [twi:t(e)],
fem.). What is the etymology of this? Does it have anything to do with
_twey_ (<twee> [tvE.I]) 'two'?