LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 29 20:58:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.29 (03) [D/E/LS]

quote:
_Gracht_ or _graft_ are used in the Western Saxon dialects, and they, too,
denote a marshland drainage canal. I assume they are derived from _graven_
['grQ:v=m] 'to dig'.

As far as I am aware, in the Netherlands, a 'gracht' is similar to a
'singel', and the ones I knew were within town / village borders.  The
village of Spakenburg (near Eemdijk, province Utrecht) had a long and
straight gracht at its centre, with roads on either side and a sequence of
narrow bridges linking the two sides.  It ran all the way into its
twin-village of Bunschoten.  (The two villages used to form a lint-shape,
long and narrow).

In that area the division was as follows:
wetering - in the polder, linked to the system of ditches (sloten) which
surrounded most farmer's fields.  The one I knew was running along a road
which went from one village (Eemdijk) to another one (Bunschoten).
gracht - de Amsterdamse grachten, etc.  (Also in other cities / places).
The Amsterdam ones go in a circular direction round the city centre.  A city
may have more than one 'gracht'; the 'Heeregracht' is one I remember in
Amsterdam, but I am sure there are more.
singel - similar to a gracht, but (in my mind, but I don't know if I am
right), a bit more 'posh', with maybe more expensive houses alongside it.

I also have a question: Where does the west-Frisian word 'skaei' (translated
'geslacht' in Dutch) come from?  I can't see any connection with Dutch or
any other language I know.

Groeten, Jannie