LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.30 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 30 19:49:26 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JUL.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.30 (04) [E]

Ben Bloomgren wrote:

> This may be a question to ask you. When you hear Dutch spoken in neutral
> environments such as radio and TV, from where does it come? Is it from
> Amsterdam? How does it sound?

You'll be hard pressed to find a locality where the local
dialect equals that of TV Dutch.  I have always been told
that Haarlem plays this role, but I am not so sure of that
myself.

And then, one cannot depend on radio and TV anymore either.
On my rare visits back to the Netherlands I find that a cer-
tain  sloppyness in pronunciation is gaining ground, with
faint tinges of Amsterdam and Utrecht accents.  Maybe this
is the direction ABN (algemeen beschaafd Nederlands) is
developing.  On the other hand, I still hear a lot of what
I consider neutral Dutch as well, so there is still hope.

Mind you, I am not criticising people for maintaining the
accent of the region they originate from.  On the contrary!
The accent that seems to be gaining ground, however, does
not originate from anywhere specific at all, maybe from pop
culture or sports, I don't know.  I may be far off here, and
I'd like to hear what other fellow Dutch speakers think of
this.

Anyway, to hear what I consider standard Dutch listen to
the news broadcasts of Radio Nederland Wereldomroep.  Or
give me a call ;-)

Gustaaf