LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.06.01 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 17:14:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From:Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.05.31 (02) [E]

A chairde,

Gary (ever the thought-provoker) wrote:

"r-less accents occured fairly late
which is why American English largely retains the r,
whereas Australian, New Zealand and South African
English do not - as they were settled by English
speakers later."

I realise this is a question we've discussed before, but indulge me.
Taking South African aside for a moment because of its somewhat
Afrikaans
phonology, which English, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and Irish accents
gave birth to Australian and New Zealand accents?

How true is it to characterise Australian, for example, as Cockney with
Irish consonants?* (A crude and unforgivable assertion, I know, but
phonology is a blunt art.) And am I the only person in the world to
consider that the New Zealand accent sounds closer to the South African
than it does to the Australian?

*We should not forget the phonological input of Gaelic (both Irish and
Scottish). 25% of the settlers in Australia were Irish, a further 10%
Scottish. Therefore the influence of 'English' accents is overstated.

Go raibh maith agaibhse

Criostóir.