LL-L "Games" 2003.06.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 18:31:28 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.JUN.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "thomas byro" <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Games" 2003.05.27 (12) [E]

Ron:

I remember that we used to stand in a line and, at a signal, kick our
wooden shoes off.  Whoever's shoe landed the furthest was the winner.
We also liked to climb to the rafters in the hayloft and let ourselves
drop into the hay.  Of course, with modern baled hay, you would probably
break your legs, but I never say baled hay as a kid.

Do city people in the lowlands wear wooden shoes or was it only us
country people?  Where could I order a pair of wooden shoes for myself?
I have not worn them since I was a kid.

Tom Byro

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Games

Hi, Tom!  Good to hear from you, as always. I hope people will respond
to your wooden shoe question separately under "Attire," since I want to
keep threads separate.

Does anyone know the game "Kippelkappel" (or "Kippel-Kappel") or a
related game?  I tried to find out about it on the web, but there seems
to be nothing, except the North German use of the word _Kippelkappel_ in
the sense of "(political) tug of war."

I really have to rummage in the farthest recesses of my mind to remember
this game.  You use a short stick that is pointed at both ends.  You lay
it across another stick (of any length) on the ground.  Underneath the
raised shorter pointed end there must be a slight dip in the ground.
With another stick you hit the raised shorter end of the pointed stick
and thus cause the stick to be flung.  The farther you cause it to be
flung the better off you are in the game.

The name appears to be northern, because it contains _-pp-_ (which would
be _-pf-_ or _-ff-_ in German), also because of the Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) words: _kippeln_ 'to (cause to) wobble', _kippelig_ 'wobble',
_kippen_ 'to tip', _kibbeln_ ~ _kabbeln_ ~ _kappeln_ (reflexive) 'to
quarrel', 'to fight', _kabbelig_ ~ _kappelig_ 'quarrelsome'.