LL-L "Celtic connections" 2003.06.04 (01) [E]

R. F. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 4 14:23:25 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JUN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "thomas byro" <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Celtic connections" 2003.06.03 (06) [E]

From: "luc.hellinckx at pandora.be" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Celtic connections
Luc

Is it possible to clearly separate linguistic contributions from Keltic
and from Latin?  They were closely related languages. Rix for king in
Keltic vs rex in Latin, for example.  Might it not be that what seems a
latin influence on English, French and other languages is really Keltic,
at least in part?  For that matter, the many keltic refuges who fled
Ceasars wars of conquest into South Germany might have helped to shape
Hochdeutsch.

Tom

Beste li glanners,

In case of the native Brithonic population's reaction to invading
Anglo-Saxons, I have some problems imagining them to flee en masse.

I think that more or less the same might have happened in Gaul earlier
on when the Romans marched in (and maybe also on the Iberian peninsula).

To my knowledge present-day French doesn't have a lot of Celtic
loanwords either (just like English) and there's also a pretty sharp
dividing line between Brittany and the rest of France. Yet, I've never
heard of a massive Celtic exodus in France back then. Like Tom wrote,
many Celtic Belgae left the continent for Britain, those might have been
on the run for Caesar indeed,
but I've never heard of any other continental Celtic mass migration.
Surely, the Roman armies may have had a different impact on the local
population, compared with the Anglo-Saxon "troops" (if one looks at the
oldest Roman(ce) loanwords in Dutch dialects for example, he/she will
notice that quite often they are related to "sophisticated
culture"...hehe, back on track again Ron *s*). Later on, Frankish
(tribes) however, made a very substantial contribution to proto-French
(before being absorbed nonetheless).

This brings me to my question: Is there any language where Celtic did
leave a substantial fingerprint on the absorbing language?

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx