LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.06.04 (04) [E]

R. F. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 4 16:50:49 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JUN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: GaidhealdeAlba at aol.com
Subject: Thanks

Thanks for your "reprimands". I can't think of a better word at this
moment, but you worded them exactly right. (The
reason for not saying who I was quoting was simply because AOL has an
annoying habit of saying who has sent them,
by e-mail address, and you certainly did not).

Anyway, I do have a problem. Accents do not appear in the e-mails sent
to me- is there a reason for this? Thanks.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Stiùbhart

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Administrativia

Hallo, a Uilleam!

Thanks for being so nice about it!  Obviously you fit right into this
group, which, even if I say so myself, has a pretty friendly yet
respectful atmosphere as far as e-lists go.

When you hit "reply," most email systems act the way you described.  In
this case -- since all of messages originate from me or from whomever
else may be doing it -- you just have to insert the names of the people
you are quoting.  Apart from being clearer, it is also a nice, social
and respectful thing to do, and it helps to get to know and remember
each other a bit more.

Folks,

It's important that all of you familiarize yourselves with the rules
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm).  By and large, we are doing fine
these days.

If there is something you want to keep between you and me, please send
it to my personal address (sassisch at yahoo.com).  If you send it to the
list address (lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org) I will assume it is
a posting submission.

If you are experiencing the type of problems Uilleam describes above,
you might want to search in our archives for discussions about this
matter: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html

I suggest you enter the keywords "Technica" or "encoding."  Make sure
you select "substring," or else the program will only check for titles.

You can also read postings in our archives
(lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org), where they default to
(automatically invoked) Unicode encoding, and most characters should be
legible in most systems.

I am sorry about the current, hopefully temporary technical problems.
We are still in transition to a permanent e-home.  Once we are settled,
we can hopefully settle this encoding matter once and for all.

At this point I should also send special thanks to Mathieu van Woerkom,
who has been doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work for the List lately.
He's been absolutely terrific, a sparkling gem and a great _makker_.