LL-L "Phonology" 2003.06.04 (05) [E]

R. F. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 4 18:04:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JUN.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.06.04 (03) [E]

08:07 AM 6/4/2003 -0700, R. F. Hahn:
>I similar case of influence exists in certain dialects of Romany
>(including Sinti).  Romany has an apical /r/.  Like Semitic, it
also has
>a uvular fricative [R] that is an allophone of /G/.  In the dialects of
>Eastern Europe the two remain distinct.  In Western European dialects
>(especially of sedentary groups, specifically Sinti of Germany)
sporadic
>adoption of uvular /r/ has been blurring this distinction.  I assume
>that this led to the adoption of the grapheme <rr> for /G/, as opposed
>to <r> for /r/, in the current Romany and Sinti orthographies (where I
>feel <gh> or an "accented" <g> would be more appropriate, e.g. _Ghoma_
>instead of _Rroma_ for the name of the ethnic group).  In dialects with
>uvular /r/, the <rr> is simply pronounced longer; thus, the system now
>equals that of predominant Brazilian Portuguese.

Not quite, if I understand your explanation of Roma r and g correctly.
In pt_BR, to keep things simple, r between vowels is apical, never
uvular, and all others r's are uvular,
Details (although they are hardly relevant for this discussion):
http://rudhar.com/foneport/alfaport.htm#Alfa-R
http://rudhar.com/foneport/noteport.htm#Note6
http://rudhar.com/foneport/noteport.htm#Note4Item5
http://rudhar.com/foneport/noteport.htm#Note4Item6

>To return to the Lowlands, for a while at least, uvular /r/ was used by
>some speakers of English in England.  You occasionally heard it on the
>radio or on T.V.  (I haven't heard it lately.)  I think we discussed
>this a long time ago, but I am not sure we ever came to any conclusion
>as to its origin.

My old 1956 Daniel Jones (but later editions exist) says this
happens in Durham, in the North of England. I don't know how exactly
that is supposed to sound.
I did hear people on BBC World Service several times (perhaps also
several persons?), who had some kind of approximant, probably
uvular, but difficult to pinpoint exactly, as their r. I do not know
if that is an individual accent or even speech defect, or a remnant
of such a North English regional accent. They otherwise spoke normal
BBC "RP" English though, nothing regional about it.

--
Ruud Harmsen  http://rudhar.com/index/whatsnew.htm  3 June 2003