LL-L "Resources" 2003.06.05 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 19:47:16 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JUN.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Bil Hawkins <greatgoomph at yahoo.com>
Subject: FindArticles.com

Hi Ron,

Time to thank you again for the site and let you know that on
www.FindArticles.com  you can punch in some descriptors in the "find"
box...I put in Lallans Scots, and it came up with
1230 articles that you can read in their entirety. Some were pretty
interesting, others of oblique connection. Might be a
good resource for our readers. Again thanks. I like the way you include
an incredibly wide range but still keep it kind of
centered on Lowland Languages. Again, Lallans and Gaelic are my
interests, but I find some of the directions worth
following. Keep up the good work and never think for a moment your work
is not appreciated in the far flung corners of
the earth. As we go into the 100 degrees and higher I think fondly of
Scotland...of course you are in Seattle,a ren't you?

Bil Hawkins [Tucson, Arizona]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hi, Bil!

Thanks for the excellent tip and for the kind words!

I checked out FindArticles.com and found it pretty useful for finding
longer articles.  A tip for those who don't already know: put groups of
words between quotation marks (" "), for otherwise they won't be
searched for as a group/string.  (This applies in most web search
engines.)

I tested it with "Low German," and right away I found two articles that
taught me something about stuff we have been discussing lately.  Both
deal with connections between Lowlands Saxon and Danisch areas, and one
of them with Copenhagen's Jewish community that had its source in
Hamburg:

(1) Journal: _Convivium_
Article: TELEMANN: Danish Cantatas.
Author/s: John W. Barker
Issue: July, 2001
<...>
What we have here, to begin with, are four cantatas, apparently all from
late in the composer's career. One of them, perhaps the earliest, is not
in Danish at all, but is in regional Low German--a kind of comic wedding
cantata for a dance-crazed soprano and instruments. It survives in
Copenhagen in a manuscript collection of Telemann cantatas (in German)
prepared in 1753 by a German musician active in Schleswig-Holstein who
obviously admired the composer. Two more solo cantatas--one for alto,
the other for tenor--are sacred pieces for Lutheran service use: they
come from a manuscript collection prepared in the mid-1750s by one
Heinrich Ernst Grosmann, a German musician who held a post in Arhus.
There are 22 Telemann cantatas in his collection, some of which (like
the alto cantata here) are not known in any German sources. Grosmann
himself fitted them out with Danish texts, so that they do not represent
any direct use of the language by Telemann himself.
<...>

(2) Journal: _Judaism_
Article: The Jewish community in Denmark: history and present status.
(From all their habitations)
Author/s: Conrad Kisch
Issue: Spring, 1998
<...>
Jews were no doubt an exotic element in eighteenth-century Copenhagen;
from contemporary illustrations we can see that some Jews were clad in
the traditional garb: belted caftan and fur cap while others wore the
normal clothing of the period: knee breeches, fitted coat, and tricorn
hat. Contemporary literary views of Copenhagen's Jews can be found in
the works of Ludvig Holberg (1684-1754), professor at the university of
Copenhagen and considered the father of Danish theater for a series of
comedies written between 1723 and 1728. Holberg is regarded as one of
the great observers of life in eighteenth-century Copenhagen and his
comedies are filled with typical figures from daily life, hence the
inclusion of Jews. The Jews in these comedies, often victims of coarse
jokes, are invariably portrayed as pawn brokers, or money lenders, and
speak a mixture of Danish, High German, and Low German - perhaps
reflecting the fact that many of the immigrants came from Hamburg.
Though Holberg's plays make fun of Jews, as they make fun of Germans,
academics, Francophiles, lawyers, and doctors as well, he also published
a sympathetic history of the Jewish people in 1742. Culturally, Jews
seem to have been completely isolated from the surrounding society and
maintained a strict orthodoxy.
<...>