LL-L "Phonology" 2003.06.05 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 21:45:35 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JUN.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Stella en Henno" <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.06.04 (05) [E]

> From: "Jim Rader" <jrader at Merriam-Webster.com>
> Subject:  LL-L "Phonology" 2003.06.04 (03) [E]
>
> [knip].
>
> As I think someone (our moderator?) noted, there is lots of allophonic
> variation among speakers of Lowlands and Scandinavian languages
> who have some kind of uvular /r/, as you native speakers across  the
> Pond doubtless know.  I notice that many (most?) Dutch speakers from
> the Randstand area, whether they use a uvular or alveolar /r/ initially
> and medially, have a peculiar sound word-finally that is quite close to
> American English /r/.  Collins & Mees call it a "prevelar bunched
> approximant."
>
> Has uvular /r/ penetrated West Frisian or Low German dialects?  Or do
> they maintain an alveolar trill or tap?  What about Dutch dialects in
> Belgium?

To react to the West Frisian: no, almost everyone uses the "tongue r"
although
some people have more guttural r's; this is called "brijkje".
Interesting
enough, in the towns where Town Frisian (a Dutch dialect on Frisian
substratum) has supplanted WF, there is a strong tendency to speak with
very guttural r. It's almost as "bad" as the French one, especially in
Leeuwarden and Harlingen.

Henno Brandsma