LL-L "Resources" 2003.06.06 (13) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 21:43:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUN.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: "Language varieties" or "Grammar"

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>:
>First of all, let me repeat that you need not feel intimidated, no
>matter how intimidating some subscribers might "sound" to you at times.

I quite agree with Ron Hahn here.

I think it is an important lesson of life to appreciate how much
levels of knowledge, experience and understanding can vary, not just
between people, but also between periods in people's lives. I still
often think of the first lessons in programming language Algol I
received, back in 1978. For two full weeks, I really understood
nothing at all, which seems quite unimaginable now, being rather
fluent in C.
Maar toen viel het kwartje, zoals we in het Nederlands zeggen, ook
al is het kwartje nu afgeschaft, vanwege de euro.

Nobody can know everything about everything, and even now, at 48,
there are areas where I too am at a complete blank. I think when
communicating with people, it is important to respectfully and
tactfully find out what the "gesprekspartner" knows and does not
know, and based on that growing awareness communicate in a way that
avoids any kind of arrogance or humiliation. I often experience that
when occasionally doing software support, where I sometimes talk to
"eindgebruikers", sometimes to "systeembeheerders", and sometimes to
people somewhere in between. When dialing the supplied phone number,
I often don't know in advance what type of person I might get on the
phone.

I learnt that lesson in part when transferring (computer, and other)
knowledge to my children. I was sometimes impatient, but often did
find the time and quietness to explain things step by step, taking
their age and level into account. It is very rewarding to find later
that they now understand things I remember I once taught them; and
sometimes I find they even expanded their knowledge, so they can
teach _me_ some things I didn't know!

>Here are a few sites that may prove useful to start with:
>http://sps.k12.mo.us/khs/linguistics/lingtrms.htm
>http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~pxc/nlpa/nlpgloss.html
>http://tristram.let.uu.nl/UiL-OTS/Lexicon/
>http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerms/contents.htm

I listed a few here, focussing on phonology and phonetics:
http://rudhar.com/foneport/lingglos.htm

--
Ruud Harmsen  http://rudhar.com/index/whatsnew.htm  6 June 2003