LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.06.08 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 04:19:52 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

[English below]

Leyve lüyd',

Weett wen mang Jou, wou dey planten vun d'n genus _Sorghum_ up
Neddersassisch (Nedderdüytsch, Platdüytsch) heytt?  My düchtt, sey heytt
"geyrst" (<Geerst> ~ <Geers> ~ <Gierst> ~ <Giers>) or _hirs(e)_ ~
_hers(e)_ ~ _heers(e)_ (< Oldsassisch _hirsi_), man ik bün my nich seker
un kan d'n naam bit her tou in keyn wöyrd'bouk vinnen.  (Ünnen kyken.)

Mit dank un gröytens,
Reinhard/Ron

Folks,

Does any of you know the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) name for plants of
the genus _Sorghum_?  I have a feeling they are called _geyrst_
(<Geerst> ~ <Geers> ~ <Gierst> ~ <Giers>) or _hirs(e)_ ~ _hers(e)_ ~
_heers(e)_ (< Old Saxon _hirsi_), but I am not sure and so far have not
been able to find it in any dictionary.  (See below.)

With thanks and regards,
Reinhard/Ron

***

Sorghum:
Ingelsch/English: millet (< French mil+et), sorghum (< Latin)
Schotsch/Scots: ?
W.-Vreyssch/W. Frisian: ?
N. Neddersassisch/N. Lowlands Saxon: geyrst ?
Nedderlandsch/Dutch: gierst
W. Vlaamsch/W. Flemish: ?
Seylandsch/Zeelandic: ?
Afrikaans: giers
Limborgsch/Limburgish: ?
Düytsch/German: Hirse
Deensch/Danish: hirse
Norweegsch/Norwegian bokmål: hirs(e)?
Norweegsch/Norwegian nynorsk: hirs(e)?
Sweedsch/Swedish: hirs
Ieslandsch/Icelandic: ?

Cf.

Hordeum:
Ingelsch/English: barley (< OE bærlic < bære, bere)
Schotsch/Scots: barley (< OE bærlic), bere (< OE bære, bere), big (< ODan
byg)
W.-Vreyssch/W. Frisian: garst
N. Neddersassisch/N. Lowlands Saxon: garst, gars, gast
Nedderlandsch/Dutch: gerst
W. Vlaamsch/W. Flemish: ?
Seylandsch/Zeelandic: ?
Afrikaans: gars (! < Saxon/Frisian?)