LL-L "Lexicon" 2003.06.10 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 16:02:11 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUN.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Peter Snepvangers" <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Lexicon

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Lexicon
Does any of you know the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) name for plants of
the genus _Sorghum_?  I
have a feeling they are called _geyrst_ (<Geerst> ~ <Geers> ~ <Gierst> ~
<Giers>) or _hirs(e)_ ~
 _hers(e)_ ~ _heers(e)_ (< Old Saxon _hirsi_), but I am not sure and so
far have not been able to find it
in any dictionary.

Ron,
I think the word for barley in Limburgs is gaes or gaas with the dialect
from Geleen or possibly Maastricht. I do not know the
 word for sorghum yet. I noticed the English word for sorghum listed as
millet, but this is not fully correct. These 2 crops are
usually listed together for convenience sake as they are very similar,
but sorghum is not millet. I believe the reason for
much confusion is because both plants have a similar non edible use -
broom making. You have Broom-corn sorghum
(sorghum vulgare) and you also have Broom-corn millet (panicum
miliaceum). The Limburgs word for broom is bessem. My
grandmother told me it was once (medieval?) a practice to leave a broom
outside the door so people knew you were not
home. If you did that this century your home would be ransacked.
Cheers
Peter Snepvangers
Australia

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Peter, down there back home!  Good to hear from you.  Hope early
winter is treating you well.

Thanks for your useful botanical explanation.  Much appreciated.

Still no news on the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) names, though, huh,
folks?  :(

Cheers!