LL-L "Celtic connections" 2003.06.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 18:50:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUN.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc." <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: Celtic connections

I'm trying to make an URL-page with a vocabulary of celtic roots present
in
Belgian toponomy (compiling from what is reported in several studies),
however I unfortunately see there is lack of consistency in defining
these
roots.

Apparently celtic varieties in these countries belong to two groups,
quote
".. tending to show that Goidelic as well as Brythonic Keltic was at
some
time spoken in Gaul ... " (p. 49)
(quoted from J. Whatmough, The dialects of ancient Gaul, 1970, Harvard
U.P.,
xxi + 85 + 1376 pp; a poorly structured collection of Celtic glosses
from
ancient Gaul, including Belgium)

Dialect variants are apparently also found back in Scottish toponomy
with
e.g. P-Celtic "aber" and Q-Celtic "inver" areas (map p. xxvii in A.
Room,
The Pinguin dictionary of British Place names")

My problem:
at home I just have some lists with a very limited vocabulary in "Teach
Yourself" type books of Irish, Welsh, Gaelic and Brezoneg/Vrezoneg, and
would like to check "reported celtic elements in toponymical studies"
with a
decent celtic dictionary.

My question:
can anybody recommend a decent (but available in commerce) "old celtic"
or
"medieval celtic" dictionary (with both P and Q variants) containing a
rather complete collection of old celtic word roots?

Regards,
Roger