LL-L "Songs" 2003.02.28 (15) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 1 00:17:00 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2003 (15) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Songs"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Songs
>
> http://sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/annie_laurie.htm (Click on "Music" to
> listen to the tune.)  There is also a bit of background information on the
> bottom of the page.

You might be interested in the following text, from "The Songs
of Scotland Prior to Burns", ed. Robert Chambers, 1862.

<quote>

ANNIE LAURIE.

There is a song long popular in the south of Scotland, though
only recently introduced into print, of which the following is
an authentic copy:

Maxwelton banks are bonnie,
    Where early fa's the dew;
Where me and Annie Laurie
    Made up the promise true;
Made up the promise true,
    And ne'er forget will I;
And for bonnie Annie Laurie
    I'll lay me doun and die.

She's backit like the peacock;
    She's breistit like the swan;
She's jimp about the middle;
    Her waist ye weel micht span:
Her waist ye weel micht span,
    And she has a rolling eye;
And for bonnie Annie Laurie
    I'll lay me doun and die.

Maxwelton is the mansion of a family of rank, beautifully
situated on the side of the valley of the Cairn, in
Dumfriesshire.  It is believed that these verses were
composed by a Mr Douglas of Fingland upon Anne, one of
the four daughters of Sir Robert Laurie, first baronet
of Maxwelton--so created in 1685.  The lady, it appears,
was not destined to be won by her poetical lover, but
became the wife of Mr Fergusson of Craigdarroch.

A living lady of rank has produced a song on the basis of
this original one, and which has attained a wide popularity.

</quote>

Since it's stated to be "an authentic copy", I've left it
well alone but of course "about" should be pronounced "aboot"
"eye" as "ee", and "die" as "dee". How to rhyme "I" with "dee",
though, I've no idea!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks a bunch for the extra information, Sandy! I've added it to the page
and hope that's all right.

http://sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/annie_laurie.htm

Enjoy!