LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.28 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Mar 1 01:10:49 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2003 (16) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: eye etc.

Sandy,

I believe you'll find in the old border dialect - now mostly gone, sadly,
there were diphthongs for some words that are clear vowels in most Lallans
Scots.  "you and me" was something like yow 'n mey and pu' for pull was
more like pauw. There were vowel shifts too - pen was more like pan ilka
like elkae and so on. Of course even in a few miles space there would have
been variation, but the border dialects definitely had a richer array of
vowels and diphthongs than found elsewhere in Scots.

Scots for aye! George

----------

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.28 (11) [E]Ian wrote:

At 02:30 PM 02/28/03 -0800, Sandy wrote:
>I haven't insinuated anything like this.

Perhaps you were tarred by my overly large brush.

>This is a difficult question because I, at least, find the
>concept of "class" a difficult one to work with. At least
>where I've lived, there hasn't been any real correlation
>between money, speech and education that would go together
>to make a consistent concept of class.

Perhaps "class" is the wrong word.  Perhaps if we look at it more
inductively:  what, if any, social distinctions can be attributed to those
who "correct" you when you use "me" in the subjective?  By social
distinction, this could include occupation, pecking order in a company,
neighbourhood, reluctance to use an authentic local dialect, etc.

Ed Alexander