LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.03.03 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 3 18:33:44 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Michael Montgomery <N270053 at VM.SC.EDU>
Subject: Ulster Scots

In reviewing postings from some weeks ago, I find a message from my
friend Ian Parsley that has prompted me to think.  On January 22 he
wrote in part that

     It is interesting that those who choose to make the case for
     `Ulster Scots' being a separate language from `Scots' choose
     to do so behind people's backs at closed meetings, rather than
     in public. This is because in public the position is
     indefensible.

I cannot agree with either his observation or his inference.  Since
1999 I have had the privilege of serving as Honorary President of
the Ulster-Scots Language Society and for over a decade have
watched the Ulster-Scots movement in action.  I do not know what
`closed meetings' Ian was referring to, or indeed if he had a
specific meeting in mind.  However, my experience is quite
different from his.  Many formally published and informally
circulated writings produced by the Ulster-Scots Language Society
or its members have cited William Grant's view that Ulster Scots is
a "variant of West-Mid Scots" found in Ayrshire and Renfrewshire
(Grant was founding editor of the Scottish National Dictionary).

Now it is true that members of the Language Society sometimes refer
to Ulster Scots as a "language," but usually this is as a
rhetorical device to contrast with either Irish or English.  That
is to say that in Northern Ireland one frequently finds it stated
(especially in the media) that English and Irish are "languages,"
while Ulster Scots is "only a dialect."  In reaction Ulster Scots
is claimed to be a "language" to give it respect, not necessarily
to assert its linguistic autonomy.  (I suspect this same dynamic --
to counter the dismissive prejudice so often conveyed by usage of
the term "dialect" -- is partly responsible for Lowland Scots being
characterized as a "language").

For this reason, one would expect (and my experience confirms) the
assertion that "Ulster Scots is a language" to be much more found
at open, public meetings than at closed ones.  (And I have been to
quite a few of the latter over the years.)

I can hardly disagree with much of Ian's posting or deny that many
of the questions he raises are important ones -- much work needs
done, as he indicates, to identify the distinctive features that
separate Lowland Scots and Ulster Scots.  But I differ with his
apparent suggestion that a cabal of activists promote the view
that Ulster Scots is a "language" only in private, where they don't
have to face objection, and are unwilling to say so in public.

Michael Montgomery
University of South Carolina