LL-L "Grammar" 2003.03.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 5 15:24:34 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAR.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.03.04 (09) [D/E/German]

> From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.03.04 (07) [E/German]
>
> At 12:08 PM 03/04/03 -0800, Gabriele wrote:
>
>   Thanks a lot, Ed. I am as "learned" as they come,
> but I also have a sense
> of
>   humour.[deleted]

>   From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
>   Subject: Grammar
>   I've just had a quick look through an Old and
> Middle
>   English reader and couldn't find any examples of
> 'me'
>   being used in the subject position when in
> combination
>   with another pronoun. Also from Sandy's examples
> from
>   Shakespeare there didn't seem to be any
> occurances.[deleted]

> Ed Alexander
>

> From: Críostóir Ã" Ciardha
> <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Grammar
> Gary wrote/schreeven:
> "I've just had a quick look through an Old and
> Middle
> English reader and couldn't find any examples of
> 'me'
> being used in the subject position when in
> combination
> with another pronoun. Also from Sandy's examples
> from
> Shakespeare there didn't seem to be any occurances.
[deleted]
> Go raibh maith agaibh/dankje
>
> Criostóir.

-------------------
You all learned people,

A [modest and important] question:

would you say 'he and me' or 'him and me'?
{I guess that /he and I/ and /him and I/ are out of
question.}

vr. gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: luc.hellinckx at pandora.be <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Grammar

Beste liëglanners,

Just a word or two about the I/me situation in Lowlands languages. First I'd
like to point out that in Brabantish we usually duplicate personal pronouns
according to the following pattern :

I (E) ~ ich (G) ~ 'k + ik (B) : e.g. Gojn(e) 'k ik da mogen doen ? (B) >< Ga
ik dat mogen doen ? (D)

you (E) ~ du (G) ~ ge + gaa (B) : e.g. Ge ze(t) gaa groeët genoeg veu dat
alliën te koejnn. (B) >< Je bent groot genoeg om dat alleen te kunnen. (D)

he/she (E) ~ er/sie (G) ~ en/ze + ij/zij : e.g. 't Es 't ope dat 'n ij da ni
mut doen in eul plek. (B) >< Het is te hopen dat hij dat niet moet doen in
haar plek. (= literally translated)

we (E) ~ wir (G) ~ me + waëln (B) : e.g. Me zen waëln da grat vergeetn. (B)
>< We zijn dat helemaal vergeten. (D). Note the position of the subject
"waëln" after the auxiliary "zen"!

you (E) ~ ihr (G) ~ ge + gaaln (B)

they (E) ~ sie (G) ~ ze + zijln (B)

Is there any other language in Europe where pronouns also usually occur in
pairs ? I know of no similar phrases in Romance languages, but maybe
somebody else could shed some light on the Celtic or the Slavic situation ?

Slightly related to this, is the different usage of I >< me (E), ik >< mij
(D) in West Flemish (V)
e.g. Het is van mij (D) ~ It's mine (E) ~ 't Es van maa (B) ~ 't Es van ik
(V)
I'm absolutely not fluent in West Flemish myself, so please guys correct me
if I'm wrong. I do happen to know though that West Flemish has a lot of
cases where everybody in Belgium would use the word "mij", whereas they
would use "ik". English on the other hand is also exceptional in a sense
that, as far as I know, in every other Lowlands language, the sentence "It's
me!" would be rougly translated as "It is I"
e.g. Ik ben het (D) ~ 't Zen(e) 'k ik (B) ~ Ich bin es (G)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>

Sorry it took me three tries to get this right. I think I need more sleep...

Ed wrote in reply to me:

>   Thanks a lot, Ed. I am as "learned" as they come, but I also have a
sense
> of
>   humour.
>
> I knew that would come out wrong.  I mean more specifically, other more
> learned types like yourself, not others more learned than yourself.

Well, I realized as soon as I sent my reply that you couldn't have possibly
meant it that way, since I'm the one who pointed out to you that there is a
difference between a wolf and a coyote, thereby proving my serious
scientific background! ;-)

Gabriele Kahn