LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.03.07 (04) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 7 15:56:15 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Allison Turner-hansen <athansen at arches.uga.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2003.03.06 (07) [E/S]

Dear Andrys, Ron, ithers,
Gabriele told me about Dougie McClean in a private e-mail, and
gave me other leads for good Scots music.  Now you, Andrys, have given me
more.  I welcome all such suggestions!
I love *all* languages, but I must say Scots is the most beautiful
to my ears (of the ones I have heard.)

Thanks,
Allison

P.S.
And thanks, Ron, for your interesting remarks on Scots music worldwide and
the treatment of the Scots language.  It is clear to me that it has its
own unique identity.

P.S.S.
I'm going to the archives to see if you have talked about the various
language groups who settled the Appalachians: Scots-Irish, Plattdeutsch,
and Northern English.  I expect you have.  I get all excited when I see
usage in the Scots postings that reminds me of Appalachian English.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>
Subject: Language varieties
Allison,

> I love *all* languages, but I must say Scots is the most beautiful
> to my ears

Ay, ye hae muckle company in this quorum. A lat licht that Scots is truelins
an unnervailiyed wallie gowdie (tho aiblins no whan comin frae *ma* mooth or
keybruid, but that's atween the twa o hus).

Talking about "undervalued jewels" ... When using English you (and others)
might like to refrain from using the name "Plattdeutsch." I know it's not
intended, but to some of us it's not a good choice, a double-whammy, so to
speak. Why use the *German* name when it's a language in its own right, now
finally officially so? Use "Low Saxon," "Lowlands Saxon" (both of which
clearly include the dialects used in the Netherlands) or, if you must, "Low
German." (Of course, "(Modern) Saxon" would be ideal, since it's the
descendant of Old Saxon, but unfortunately this name was frittered away to
the German dialects of the state of Saxony when some Saxon arch-duke or
other was kicked upstairs to those parts.)

> I'm going to the archives to see if you have talked about the various
> language groups who settled the Appalachians: Scots-Irish, Plattdeutsch,
> and Northern English. I expect you have. I get all excited when I see
> usage in the Scots postings that reminds me of Appalachian English.

I'm afraid that not nearly as much has been said about those interesting
topics as many of us would like to hear (and some that has been said may
predate the current archives). Also, our most vocal Appalachian speaker and
promoter is currently not among us. I would most certainly love to see these
subject areas reopened and Appalachian be used in this forum again, and I
know I am not alone there.

Your interest and support are most appreciated.