LL-L "Names" 2003.03.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 7 15:23:28 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.03.06 (05) [D/E/V]

Hi Ron,

I have been looking for resources which quote that
Anglians also went settling in what is now known as
Saxonia-Anhalt and Thuringia but I have no proper
resources available at the moment, I have to go to the
University library to check this out again but when I
will have the time for that is rather uncertain.

However, the only evidence as such for Angels settling
in Saxony-Anhalt is in placenames such as "Ingeleben".
In Thuringian history books the Angles are named as
one of the founder-"tribes" beside the Hermunduren and
Warnen. They obviously made no linguistic impact
because the dialects spoken in Saxony-Anhalt are
either entirely Eastphalian-Low Saxon or Thuringian.
Not many traces of the Angles remained in "Angeln"
either, all placenames are almost entirely Danish or
Swedish in present-day Angeln. The first part of the
place-name Groedersby near Kappeln refers apparantly
to an Anglian personal name. My mother told me that
there is a saga called "De groten un de luetten Luet"
describing the departure of the Angels to England. It
is a bit far fetched because, as far as I remember, it
simply describes that the so called "small people"
arriving at a river and they asked the ferrymen to
bring them across. In the beginning the ferryman is
reluctant but he agrees after the small people offered
him some payment for each person he takes across. But
he understimated the sheer number of people and after
finishing the exhausting job he bacame a very rich
man. There is also monument in Rendsborg for a famous
fight once taking place between the king of the Angles
and the king of the Saxons on the river Eider which is
apparantly mentioned in the English Wulfila-Saga where
the river Eider is called "Fifeldor". It would be
interesting to bring together all references to the
Angles and their history before they went to the
British Isles but, of course it will be time-extensive
as well.

Groeten

Helge