LL-L "Grammar" 2003.03.07 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 7 15:21:18 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2003.03.06 (08) [E]

Joan:
I am a native speaker of English of the Texas variety.  My own thoughts on
the double modal are that it gives a shade of meaning not available with the
single modal.  Let me explain:  (a) I might go to the store.  (b) I could go
to the store.  (c) I might could go to the store.

(a) Means that there is the possibility I will go to the store, but it's
not certain.
(b) Means that I am able to go to the store, and if I were so inclined I
possibly will go.
(c) Means that I am both able and more inclined to go to the store than
just possibly going.

So, to me, the double modal adds more certainty to what will happen, but
stops short of complete certainty.  I would say that "might would," "might
ought to," and maybe the others follow the same pattern.  I hope this makes
sense to you.

Mark Brooks