LL-L "Prepositions" 2003.03.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 13 22:10:44 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.MAR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: LL-L "Prepositions" 2003.03.13 (02) [E]

In answer to Ron's question...

Up here in New Hampshire, I would still think of it as definitely a
"Southern thing". I concur with Ron in that "to wait on" a person is to
serve them; like a waiter/servant, etc. ("I wait on him hand and foot, and
what do I get in return...!!??). To use "wait on" for "wait for" is
something just not heard in northern New England to my knowledge; I've never
heard it at any rate from a native New Englander.

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA