LL-L "Names" 2003.03.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 14 15:17:50 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAR.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2003.03.13 (04) [E/LS]

Fiete and Ron,

as to using LG versus UG placenames: I think there is a difference between
places nearby and a little further away. Growing up, I have found that
villages in the immediate neighbourhood often get called by their "Platt"
names - as they probably have been for generations. It's a bit of a "family"
thing; distant towns, like distant relatives, get addressed more formally
than neighbouring villages and annoying little brothers.

I went to school in the (in)famous Southern Lower Saxon of Hameln (Hamelin
of Pied Piper Fame) for several years. The local newspaper had a Lower
German column every day, and many people from the surrounding villages,
including some "bilingual" girls in my class, still spoke Platt. There are
two villages very close to Hameln, Klein-Berkel and Groß-Berkel. I've never
heard them called by their German names in Platt; it was always "Grauten
Barkel" and "Lüttjen Barkel".

Cheers,
Gabriele