LL-L "Prepositions" 2003.03.13 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Mar 13 23:19:35 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.MAR.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Prepositions

Ron,

I can confirm that 'wait on' is most certainly found
in British and Irish dialects.

In Northern Ireland 'wait for' would actually be
unusual apart from in formal contexts - 'wait on' is
much preferred.

Likewise in the north of England, where you will even
hear the exclamation 'Wait on!'

I don't remember hearing it when I lived in the south
of England (apart from in the context of serving in a
restaurant, as you suggest). I don't know what the
situation is in Scotland, the English Midlands, SW
England or the rest of Ireland.

Regards,

=====
Ian James Parsley