LL-L "Administrativia" 2003.03.21 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Mar 21 18:05:06 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.MAR.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

!كﺭﺎﺒﻣ ﺰﻭﺭ ﻮﻨ Happy Naw Rúz (Persian New Year) to those of you who celebrate
it! (I look forward to attending a large Naw Rúz party tonight.) Happy first
day of spring to those of you in the Northern Hemisphere! Greetings to
everyone, wherever you may be!

Lately there have been some server problems with long periods of down time.
I am sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

Several people have joined us since my last administrative message
(05.MAR.2003 (10)). Welcome to all! At the end of this message you will find
a list of their places of residence.

It is important that everyone be acquainted with our rules and guidelines,
to be found under "Rules and Guidelines: at our website
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/).

Today please allow me to remind you of the following rule:

Specific policies and political events that have direct relevance
to language and culture may be discussed. Without this direct
relevance, political issues and opinions are outside the
discussion scope.

This is important at all times, all the more right now that war has broken
out once again. Please bear in mind that we are a very diverse,
international group of people with all sorts of backgrounds, educational
levels and specialties, cultural conditioning as well as philosophical and
political attitudes and opinions. No ethnicity and nationality is excluded
or unwelcome. Indeed, I am happy to say that we have among us a good number
of people whose countries are on bad terms or even at war with each other.
Please respect this oasis of peace and its diversity, and be aware that
everyone is welcome and honored here as long as they do not violate the
rules. My advice is to never assume that the social, moral and political
concepts that seem basic to you, your community and your nation apply in
other communities and nations as well. It is also very important that you
never assume a person's attitudes, ideas and knowledge (or lack thereof) on
the basis of his or her ethnicity, nationality, gender or place of
residence.

I thank you for your interest, cooperation and support as Lowlands-L is
approaching the end of its eighth year.

Friendly regards!
__________
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Administrator, Lowlands-L
<http://www.lowlands-l.net>

***

Places of Residence of New Subscribers (since March 5, 2003):

Canada:
   Ontario:
      Sault Sainte Marie [1]
   Saskatchewan:
      Mossbank [1]
Germany:
   ? [1]
Hungary:
   Bács-Kiskun:
      Baja [1]
France:
   ? [1]
Netherlands:
   ? [1]
New Zealand:
   Mangere:
      Auckland [1]
Serbia & Montenegro:
   ? [1]
South Africa:
   Gauteng:
      Pretoria [1]
   North-West Province:
      Klerksdorp [1]
Switzerland:
   Aargau:
      Fislisbach [1]
United Kingdom:
England:
   ? [1]
   Scotland:
      Lothian:
         Edinburgh [1]
United States of America:
   Arizona:
      Tucson [1]
   California:
      Concord [1]
   District of Columbia:
      Washington [1]
   Florida:
      Kissimmee [1]
   Michigan:
      Allegan [1]
   New York:
      Brooklyn [1]
   Pennsylvania:
      Pittsburgh [1]
   South Carolina:
      ? [1]
   Tennessee:
      Cleveland [1]
   Texas:
      Austin [1]
   Washington:
      Seattle [2]
   Wisconsin:
      Hudson [1]
   ? [2]

----------

From: jon rui-wamba <aiumia2000 at yahoo.es>
Subject: end this relationship

Dear Lowlands,
I´m sorry but I´m going to finish this relationship
because the level of the aportations exceed my
knowledge. But I want to explain that I read very
interesting reports and e-mails about this wonderful
languages family.
So, in the future I´ll choose lowland as a number1 of
my choices into internet.
Best whises, Jon R-W from the Basque Country.