LL-L "Demographics" 2003.03.23 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 24 00:00:32 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.MAR.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics" 2003.03.23 (02) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Demographics
> Roger:
>> Censi are forbidden, ...
> What the ...?!  Excuse me ... but how is such a prohibition being publicly
justified?
> Puzzled ...
> Reinhard/Ron

Censi should be read as "language censi".
>From +- 1920 till 1947 each municipal administration had to adjust its
internal language in line with the result of the decennal language censi.
It was found, that at the 1947 census, administrative people, in several
municipalities, influenced people to opt for French (as a patriotic
gesture), turning the administration of several municipalities (especially
around Brussels) from Dutch speaking into French speaking. Censi were no
censi anymore, but referenda, strongly coached by a group protecting "the"
civilised culture. Since 1962-1963 municipalities can not flip to French
anymore, since the (administrative) language border got froozen by law.

In some municipalities around Brussels and along the language border (the
so-called municipalities with "facilities"), people can have official forms
in the other language. Belgium has been condemned recently by the European
Council since, in Flanders, French people were "found" to be harrassed, by
the investigator of the council, since they have to ask for a "French" form
on a case by case basis.

Regards,
Roger