LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.03.26 (04) [4]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Mar 26 21:54:02 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAR.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2003.03.26 (03) [E/French/Spanish]

Roger et al.,
It's not entirely inaccurate to say that Ladino WAS
just a TRANSLITERATION of Spanish... of the 15th
century, and of a particular region of Spain.  And
what happened is that this dialect differs somewhat
from what developed into standard Castilian.  Ladino
(of which I personally would like to learn more)
developed its particular character once it had left
Spain and interacted with local languages in Northern
Africa and the Ottoman Empire.  But while in Spain, it
appears NOT to have been a separate language for Jews,
anymore than saying "This food is kosher" makes this
sentence "not-English", just because of the Hebrew
word "kosher" in it.
Stan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language contacts

Stan,

Thanks for the explanation (above).  I should have mentioned in my earlier
response that Ladino only became a truly separate language outside the
Iberian Peninsula.  However, I believe Hebrew script *was* used in Spanish
communication within the Jewish community before the Inquisition already.
There are many dialects of Ladino, distinguished mostly by influences of the
various countries in which the speaker communities live(d) after the
Inquisition, e.g., Tamazight and other Berber languages, Arabic, Greek,
Turkish, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Catalan, Italian, Occitan and
French.  It is therefore to my surprise that I do not seem to find
Lowlands-specific varieties, given that Ladino was and is spoken in
Dutch-speaking areas and used to be spoken in North German port cities
(especially Altona and Hamburg [now fused], the origin of the earliest
Jewish communities of Denmark).  Perhaps this is one of those cases
where people do not perceive them as different varieties, perhaps consider
Dutch and, in the United States English, influences/borrowings temporary
"impurities."

I, too, regret that there is very little in the way of Ladino language
resources, considering that the language is the bearer of a very interesting
and beautiful collection of cultural varieties and a tremendously enchanting
folksong heritage.  Unfortunately, there is a scarcity of material about all
Jewish languages other than Hebrew, Aramaic and Yiddish (Judeo-German).
These rarely covered languages include Judeo-Italian, Judeo-French,
Judeo-Neo-Aramaic, Judeo-Arabic, Judeo-Greek, Judeo-Provençal and various
types of Judeo-Persian (especially of Bukhara, Uzbekistan), Judeo-Turkic and
Judeo-Indic.

Here are a few links to Ladino (a.k.a. Judeo-Spanish or Judezmo) sites:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~benven/ladino.html
http://uahc.org/congs/va/va003/ladino.html
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~library/Library_Bulletin/Apr1990/LB-A90-Levenson.h
tml