LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 16:00:35 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAY.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy Howey <andyandmae_howey at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.06 (01) [E]

Hi, Ron:

It's possible that I misunderstood what he said about "Peking", but I am
sure about what he said about the current
pronunciation, and that he said that he is a native of the city, and
that his parents still live there.  He's not at work today,
so I wasn't able to double-check what I thought he told me about
"Peking".

Andy Howey

Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

       //snip//
       ----------

       From: R. F. Hahn
       Subject: Phonology

       Andy (above):

       I have a co-worker who is a native of Beijing, and I asked him
how it is
       really pronounced, and he pronounced it "bay-JING", but he said
that
       that pronunciation is only since the Communists took power. Prior
       that, it was pronounced "pay-KING". He didn't say why the change
in
       pronunciation, though.

       This is very peculiar information, to put it politely. Are you
       absolutely sure this person is from Beijing? In the vast majority
of
       Mandarin dialects, including those of Beijing, the shift /g/
([k]) >
       /dz/ ([ts]) (and /k/ ([kh]) > /ts/ ([tsh]) before /i/ took place
       centuries ago. In Early Middle Mandarin, the name appears to have
been
       pronounced something like [pak-kIN], then [pa?-kjIN] and finally
       [pEI-tsIN], phonemically /bei-jiN/ (/b/ is realized as [p], /p/
       aspirated as [p_h]), meaning "N! orthern Capital". In Southern
Chinese
       languages the old pronunciation is more or less intact, e.g.,
Cantonese
       /bak-kIN/ (with an unreleased /k/), and there may be a few
Southern
       Mandarin dialects left that say something like [pa?-kjIN]
/ba?-kiN/.

       Irrespective of weird Taiwanese-originated stories, "The
Communists" did
       not change the name of the city. The Republican Government
(1912-1949)
       changed it to "Beiping" ("Northern Peace") and took this name
into exile
       to Taiwan (spelling it "Peip'ing" for Westerners because they
rejected
       the Pinyin transliteration together with everything else instated
on the
       Mainland), while on the Mainland the old name (originating from
the Ming
       Dynasty [1368-1644]) was reinstated and spelled in the Pinyin
       system (which is phonemically more sound than other Romanization
       systems).

       I have lived in Beijing and in Taiwan, and I know quite a bit
about wild
       fabrications flying around. Believe me! : no one from Beijing
would say
       "pay-KING". The Western name "Pekin g" is based on an earlier
Mandarin
       pronunciation.

       Cheers!