LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 23:56:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.May.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.11 (11) [E]

17:58 11-5-2003 -0700
Colin Wilson:
> Incidentally, the "ch" in Scots is neither "front" nor "back", but
> between the two! Thus _loch_ in Scots and _loch_ in Gaelic are
> pronounced differently from each other.

Ron Hahn:
>I have noticed that, also noticed similar pronunciation of <ch> by
>Polish, Czech and Slovak speakers; e.g., Czech _chudý_ 'poor' and
_bych_
>'I would'.  I have been wondering what IPA symbol to use for it.

Could that be similar (in sound, not in mechanism) to the difference
between the back ch in Dutch north of the big rivers and south of
them? I think in that case it could be called uvular versus velar.
Sound samples here:
http://rudhar.com/fonetics/cxch.htm
--
Ruud Harmsen  http://rudhar.com/index/whatsnew.htm  11 May 2003

----------

From: "Chris Ferguson" <shoogly at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2003.05.11 (09) [E]

ah - but then you must know how to pronounce Greek! ;-)

Crìsdean Mac Fhearghais

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Colin Wilson wrote:
"The "ghamma" sound has only one form, the "back" form. Where one might
expect a "front" form, it's replaced by a sound usually explained in
the textbooks as "y"."

It's a shame that textbooks teaching Irish and Scottish Gaelic phonology
to learners are so bad at it. I've yet to find one anywhere near halfway
accurate.

As Colin describes, the counterpart to 'ghamma' is usually glossed as
/y/
in textbooks, and is being taught as /y/ in many classes (in the same
way
that the 'ghamma' sound is being taught as [g] and [x] is being passed
on
as [k], unfortunately). In fact, the phoneme in question is closer to
[hj], at least in the Irish variants I am familiar with.

Go raibh maith agaibh

Criostóir.