LL-L "Gender" 2003.05.14 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 19:57:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.MAY.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: corber <corber at shaw.ca>
Subject: gender in speach

Dear LLers;
  When I lived in Northern British Columbia,where the Canadian Natives
called" Carrier"( because in the
old days widows would carry the bones of their departed husbands on
their backs for a period) had no
gender in their language,they referred to all people as "he"when
speaking English, like "my wife he not
here"..Another interesting thing about their language is that they call
a corner "Aack",whereas all other
native languages there refer to a corner as a point. Maybe the "aack"
word was learned from an ancestor
of mine that traded in that area 1912-1920..The English speakers loaned
words from the natives there
too,such as "skookum" for robust,muscular,strong."chuck"for ocean or
lake,"clootch" for woman (usually
derogatory).....Cornelius Bergen

----------

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Gender" 2003.05.14 (04) [E/LS]

Ron,

thanks for the clarification. I had been wondering about this for a long
time; all the languages I speak or at least understand are either
Germanic
(including Scandinavian), Romanic or Slavic. It just seems to make so
little
sense that gender distinctions should be used for everything, even where
they are completely irrelevant (and painful to anyone who has ever had
learn to spell French, for example).

I'm not a militant feminist, by the way - just a fervent "neutralist",
meaning that I believe in thinking of people as individuals and not
giving
them a big fat label (and I don't think any label could possibly be
bigger
than "man" or "woman") right up front.

Still, I wouldn't go as far as trying to artificially change a language
reflect that view (as in history vs. herstory - maybe theirstory in my
case - although I rather like the pun). But I would always use words
like
"humankind" and "chairperson" over "mankind" and "chairman".

Wildly neutral, :-)
Gabriele Kahn