LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.05.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 19:05:26 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.May.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: Highlands of Scotland

Hello, Tieflanders, how does Lallands Scots compare with that of the
Highlands area, such as Inverness? Thanks,
Ben

----------

From: William Parker <William.Parker at three.co.uk>
Subject: Morphology

Ron

Thank you Jim Rader for correcting me.  I was aware that Caxton was the
first to publish Chaucer's work in the UK - including Troilus and
Criseyde -
since it is generally considered that he set up the first English
movable
printing press in the 1470s, and I had simply assumed that the web
quotation
was from a first or early printing of Chaucer's own work, completely
forgetting that as well as a printer / publisher Caxton was also a
linguist
and undertook many of the translation too for the books published by his
business.

The extract also goes to show now variable the spelling was in these
early
printings with inconsistencies even within the quoted passage when no
"standard" written form of the language had developed in the population
at
large.  At the Royal Court scribes and secretarial "clerks" - of which
Chaucer was himself one given his diplomatic role at court - had started
develop some standard spelling conventions with the transition to the
use of
English for parliament & courts (form the 1350's onwards and the Court
and
royal documents from 1377 following the accession of Richard II - Latin
and
Anglo Norman French having been the (increasingly irrelevant) norm
previously, but these courtly standards only slowly were adopted, and it
was
the impact of printing that accelerated the development of a standard.

But this just goes to prove the old maxim, Festina lente, and when in
doubt
check and check again.

Thanks again
William Parker