LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 14:59:29 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: niels.winther at dfds.dk
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Ron wrote:

> Can you help me with the etymology of the Afrikaans expression
> _Aikôna!_ or _Haikôna!_ ('Oh, no!', 'Not at all!', 'No way!')?
> Was it imported from a Khoisan or Bantu language,
> or is it a contraction I don't recognize?

Probably from Bantu (like Swahili 'hakuna').

cheers
Niels

----------

From: ezinsser at worldonline.co.za
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.19 (11) [A]

Hello Ron en Laaglanders,

Aikôna is 'n Zoeloe en Xhosa (dus Nguni)woord.
Die vorm kan ook na aiko [aajeeko] verkort word.

Die herkoms:
a = negatiewe prefiks
kôna = bestaan/beskikbaar/is

Aikôna beteken dus "'n besliste nee".

Salani kahle!
Elsie Zinsser

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> [English below]
>
> Liewe Laaglanders,
>
> Kan julle my help met die etimologie van die Afrikaanse uitdrukking "Aikôna!" of
"Haikôna!"?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Ngiyabonga kakhulu - Enkosi kakhulu - Ahsante, Elsie na Niels!

For those willing to know:

(1) Swahili _hakuna_ means 'There isn't any'.

(2) Nguni is a branch of Southeastern Bantu.  Bantu (~ Ntu) is a
language family that includes Swahili, Zulu, Xhosa, Lingala, Kikongo,
Chichewa, Shona, Sindebele, Setswana, Sesotho, Sepedi, Swazi and many
other languages used over large areas of Africa.  (I understand that the
name "Bantu" has acquired a negative connotation in Southern Africa, but
it is still a legitimate scientific classification label in the rest of
the world, based on _-tu_ the native root for "person".)

Regards and thanks,