LL-L "Technica" 2003.05.20 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 21:31:22 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAY.2003 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica" 2003.05.19 (02) [E]

At 18:46 19/05/03, John Rodenburg wrote:
>Does anyone know the "alt number" keyboard combination for the letter Z
>with an accent above it?

On a Windows PC, all of these can be found from the Character Map
(Programes -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map)

Selecting a character on the display will cause the number to be shown
at the bottom right.

Colin Wilson.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

John,

If it is MS Word you are talking about, you can use the keyboard
shortcut Alt + 0158 for the lower-case "z-hachek" (ž) and Alt + 0142 for
the upper-case one (Ž).  Pressing the Alt key and the mapping number
will create the desired character.

However, you can also do as I do, which is easier for those of us who
don't (any longer) remember a bunch of numbers: under "Insert" and
"Symbol" find the character you want, then press the "Keyboard Shortcut"
button in the menu and map the characters to key combinations that help
you remember and that are not already used for something that is
important to you.  For my own use I have mapped the mentioned characters
to Alt +z and Alt + Z respectively.

Here is a request for Ben, Sandy and whoever else is knowledgeable about
the needs of sight-, hearing- and otherwise impaired people.  Among a
bunch of computing workshops I have registered for a workshop that deals
specifically with designing web pages that are accessible and can be
easily navigated by people with various handicaps.  This has always been
of concern to me, and I often wonder how I can make my own pages more
widely accessible.  For this reason I would welcome some input --
experiences, wishes, gripes, etc.  The workshop is going to be held on
August 28, but I would like to gain relevant knowledge as early as
possible to benefit our LL-L pages and my various personal ones.  If
your information is lengthy and rather technical, you might want to send
it to me personally (sassisch at yahoo.com) with a copy to our LL-L
Webmaster Mathieu van Woerkom (mathieu.vanwoerkom at student.kun.nl).  If
it is brief and easily understood by most, you might want to post it,
because other web page creators among us could benefit from the
information -- and as many of us as possible could learn to be in the
lead of a movement toward greater inclusivity.  Remember that in our
cases there is the added element of dealing with arrays of language
varieties, some of which have no standardized forms.

Thanks in anticipation!