LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.23 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 00:22:53 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.MAY.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.23 (04) [E/LS]

Lieve Laaglanders,
The question of French influence on various Teutonic tongues is both too
deep and too complex to
address on a single afternoon.
However, it is of enormous importance, and has been since the time of
Charlemagne, as anyone living
in the Drielandenpunt will testify.
Also, French influence is still a political hot-button item. Take, for
example, the difference between the
word "etage" in The Netherlands, as opposed to "verdieping" in Flanders,
or many other instances of
French avoidance experienced in Flanders.

I'm a bit surprised that, to my knowledge, no Noordfriisk speakers have
yet shown up in your
ever-expanding dialogue. Anybody home out there?

Mooie groete,

Arthur

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Arthur!

Nice to hear from you.

You know there's a lot of wind up in Northern Friesland, so those North
Frisians keep getting blown onto and off the List all the time -- unless
some of them hold on and are very quiet lurkers.

Cheers!