LL-L "Songs" 2003.05.26 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 20:52:31 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.May.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne at compaqnet.be
Subject: "wat zullen we drinken"

Gegroet,

Not really a linguistic question; but as the desciption on the
LOWLAND-list also mentions "_culture_ of the lowlands" I guess this is
also on-topic here.

Yesterday-evening there was a interesting (but sad) program on the
Belgian TV (called "this song is not of you") about how a folksong got
used by different people in the same region who all thought this song
was "their"s (and sometimes used it as battle-song against other people
who also though this some was "theres").

Anycase, the made me think there was a song I know who turned up in a
hit-40 number some time ago.

The 1998; the German rave-group "Scooter" was in the Belgian top 40 with
a number called "how much is the fish".
In that song; he used a tune I know from earlier. It was the tune from a
song called "7 dagen lang (wat zullen we drinken, 7 dagen lang)".

After doing some web-surfing, I found that the version I know came from
a dutch band called "bots" but that the song was not originally from
them.
(There apparently also was a german version of the 'wat zullen we
drinken" song around; perhaps that's where Scooter got it from).

Some further surfing showed two possible links:
- One message in a NG said it was a Irish folksong.
- Another source pointed to a Britanic (??? Nl: Bretoens) song called
"Son Ar Chistr".

So; my questions:
- Does somebody have an idea about the origin of this song?
- Are the lyrics of the different versions "related"? ("Son Ar Christ"
sounds kind-of religious; which cannot be said about the drinking-song I
know in dutch).
- Is this songs also know in other parts of Europe or outside Europe?

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Hi, Kristoff!

I'm not sure if this is your first posting.  At any rate, it is good to
hear from you, and I bid you welcome.

And cheerio back to you!