LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.27 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 14:31:33 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.MAY.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "jannie.lawn" <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.22 (02) [D/LS], Mystery dialect, LL-L
"Lexicon" 2003.05.26 (03) [D/E], Frisian

re: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.05.22 (02) [D/LS] rüykelarft (Rükelarft)
[Mecklenburg]

Reading about the ‘rüykelarft’ suddenly reminded me of the Eemdijk
dialect (as we then called it, although it would now probably be
classified as part of one of the Lowlands languages).  I could sort of
speak it when I was at Junior School, although neither my parents
nor the teachers encouraged this.  (We moved there when I was 3½).  I
remember from High School that one of the teachers told us that
the dialect had a strong Saxon influence.  This ties in with the above,
as I am pretty sure that their word for ‘pea’ was ‘arft’. Does
anyone know more about this / use it in their language?  (One funny
thing I still remember: in this dialect all the Dutch ‘ij’ sounds were
changed into ‘ie’ sounds.  Knowing this, the son of one of our
neighbours started to talk about his ‘fijts’ in an attempt to speak ‘
proper
Dutch’…)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Thanks / Bedankt, Jannie Lawn-Zijlstra

----------

From: "Andy Eagle" <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L

Gary Taylor rote:

>Hy aw
>
>U me’ sumwun dhës eevnin cawd ‘Gundolf’ – go’ me
>wundrin ëbou’ i’s etimolëjy – eny iedee(r)s? Awso,
>widh aw dhë tawk ëbou’ ki’es ën dragënz – wo’s dhy
>etimolëjy ëv ki’e? – I’ ëpparën’ly cumz frëm dhë
>be(r)d – bë’ my etimëlojicaw
>dicshënery sez dhë’ i’s
>imitëtiv – U dëno wo’ ë ki’e sounz like, bë’ U cahn’
>imajin i’sez enythin like “ki’e”!

I' mite av bean prunownsd keet a' won time. Maybee vuh burd
goes keet keet keet?

Andy Eagle(wo' a fittin name wen diskussin Burds uv Pray;-)

>I met someone this evening called ‘Gundolf’ – it got
>me wondering about its etymology – any ideas? Also,
>with all the talk about kites and dragons – what’s the
>etymology of kite? – It apparently comes from the bird
>– but my etymological dictionary says that it’s
>imitative – I don’t know what a kite sounds like, but
>I can’t imagine it says anything like ‘kite’!

It might have been pronounced keet at one time. Maybe the bird
goes keet keet keet?

Andy Eagle (What a fitting name when discussing Birds of Prey;-)