LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.05.30 (02) [E]

R. F. Hahn rhahn at u.washington.edu
Fri May 30 14:57:41 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.MAY.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * sassisch at yahoo.com
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Peter Snepvangers" <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Lexicon

Dag Lowlanders,
I came across this site when I was looking at Angle, Saxon and Jute
migration and influences on English. There seems to
be a point in time around Chaucers period in the late 15 century when
the English started to change and does not look as
similar to Sassich or Dutch script.

http://icg.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/language.html   And the merchant was
angry, for he also could speak no
French, but wanted to have had eggs, and she understood him not. And
then at last another said that
 he woulkd have "eyren." Then the good wife understood him well. Lo,
what should a man in these
days now write, "eggs" or "eyren"?
[Tr. from the preface to Enydos Caxton's Eneydos, 1490. Englisht from
the French Liure des Eneydes,
1483. Ed. by the late W. [read M.] T. Culley ... and F.J. Furnivall,
London, a EETS, 1890 [Widener:
11473.57].

http://icg.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/special/authors/gower/gow-pro.html
John Gower

In this the period known as "Middle English" there is a standardising to
London English. Could any one tell me if the areas to
the Midlands and north retain their dialect differences? Are there
distinct Lowlands Scots influences on English in these
northern areas that were not seen in the southern Kentish/Jute and
London areas?

Tot Ziens
Peter Snepvangers