LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.11.04 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 4 17:27:46 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Karren Huzzey <khuzzey at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Ebonics

I am currently working on my Masters thesis which is looking at the place of
the Scots langauge in the "English" class in Scottish education. I am
obviously interested in the sitaution of other minority and threatened or
unrecognised languages. When I was at a conference in the summer, I was
using the growth of Spanish in America as an example of the power of the
people and someone drew my attention to Ebonics. I still know very little
about it and would be delighted to hear the views of other list members. My
main interest is in the human rights and social aspect of language use but
language itself fascinates me. I would especially ike tohear from someone
who considers her/himself to be a speaker of Ebonics. I know that
African-americans have mixed views on the subject so I hope this does not
cause any offence. Karren

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Karren!

Welcome to the circle of "vocal" Lowlanders!  It's good to hear from you.

I believe we have a few African Americans on our list, though I can't be
sure (since we don't ask for any pertinent, or impertinent, information from
people who join us).  If you wish, I could ask for the opinions of a couple
of African Americans that are close to me.

There are a few good and useful web pages on this subject; e.g.,
http://www.cal.org/ebonics/
http://www.linguistlist.org/topics/ebonics/
http://fsweb.berry.edu/academic/hass/ejohnson/ebonics.htm

As is to be expected, there is a larger number of mean-spirited, ridiculing
pages, such as The Lord's Prayer in made-up Ebonics
(http://www.christusrex.org/www1/pater/JPN-ebonics.html), and machine
translators (http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp,
http://www.atlantaga.com/ebonics.htm), typically associated with sites
dedicated to "funny stuff" ...