LL-L "Holidays" 2003.11.04 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 4 22:24:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources
>
> Folks,
>
> Before I call it a day and fade into the night with my all-black, nearly
> gothic attire even Wir Sandy (who's hopefully having a thoroughly
> goth time
> in Whitby) would approve of, I want to draw your attention to a

On Friday evening I set out for the Spa (which is where the goth bands play
at Whitby) as usual and it was only on my way there I saw some children
"guising" and remembered it was Halloween. I stopped at the Royal Hotel for
coffee and to join friends who were staying there and one of the tourists
there came up and congratulated me on my Halloween costume. I just thanked
him (believe me, goths are beyond caring what other people think of how we
look - we only care how other goths think we look!) but when he went away
the barmaid looked at me and said "oops!".

Down at the Spa some of the goths actually were dressed for Halloween -
witches, Easter bunnies and suchlike. The next night there were still a few
witches about, and a friend said to me, "What's the point? Halloween was
yesterday." Which just shows that Halloween costume and gothic dress are two
different things.

As for Luc's questions and Ron's comments on death and bereavement, the
landlady where I was staying in Whitby told me that they had moved to Whitby
because when her husband was a very small child his family had come to
Whitby for a holiday and he already knew his way around the town even though
he had never been there before. She also said that after his grandfather
died his mother had been able to see her father watching over her at all
times, which suggested to me that this sort of sensitivity to the dead may
run in families. She said that she had heard there was a religion or system
of belief where people believed that the dead watch over the living and can
sometimes be seen doing so, and she asked me if I knew what the name for it
was. I told her I'd ask my gypsy friend, who very often sees the dead
herself. So down at the Spa I explained all this to her but I couldn't make
her understand that this seemed a little strange to me, because she's so
used to this sort of thing - so, since we were there to dance, listen to
bands, chat, drink, not-eat, photograph the best clothes, and generally
enjoy ourselves and not get into serious discussions, I didn't get any
answers!

What was the strangest thing I saw all weekend? Well, last night one of the
local nightclubs held an "eighties night" for goths. Seeing a dance floor
full of goths dancing to the "Ghostbusters" theme was definitely the
strangest thing! The only stranger thing would be seeing a line of goths
conga-ing but since I was in it I didn't see what it looked like!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Holidays

Thanks for the interesting report above, Sandy.  Much appreciated.

Here is wishing  our British friends on the List happy Guy Fawkes Day
tomorrow!

I know this is a traditional holiday in England, and I understand that it is
popular in other parts of Britain as well (though not everyone may feel
positive about it).  Here are a few web links for those of you who are not
familiar with this holiday and its historical background:
http://www.britannia.com/history/g-fawkes.html
http://www.bonefire.org/guy/ *
http://www.innotts.co.uk/asperges/fawkes/
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/guyfawkes.html

***

* Here is a song by one of the greatest artists of the time, given as
background at (http://www.bonefire.org/guy/):
   Thomas Campion, 1567-1620, "Follow Thy Fair Sunne,"
   http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/fairsun.htm
   Music (MIDI): http://www.bcpl.net/~cbladey/guy/midi/fairsun.mid

   Followe Thy Faire Sunne
   by Thomas Campion (1567-1620)

   Followe thy faire sunne, vnhappy shadowe,
   Though thou be blacke as night,
   And she made all of light,
   Yet follow thy faire sun, vnhappie shadowe.

   Follow her whose light thy light depriueth,
   Though here thou liu'st disgrac't,
   And she in heauen is plac't,
   Yet follow her whose light the world reuiueth.

   Follow those pure beames whose beautie burneth,
   That so haue scorched thee,
   As thou still blacke must bee,
   Til her kind beames thy black to brightnes turneth.

   Follow her while yet her glorie shineth :
   There comes a luckles night,
   That will dim all her light ;
   And this the black vnhappie shade deuineth.

   Follow still since so thy fates ordained ;
   The Sunne must haue his shade,
   Till both at once doe fade,
   The Sun still proud, the shadow still disdained.

***

My Lowlands Saxon (Low German) translation:

(Neo-Hanseatic Spelling)

   Streev' dyn helle sün na
   vun Thomas Campion (1567-1620)
   Översetten vun R. F. Hahn, ©2003

   Streev' dyn helle sün na, o elendig schadden!
   Du magst wul swart syn as dey nacht,
   Eer angesicht vun stralen lacht,
   Streev' lykers wyder, o elendig schadden!

   Streev' eer na, dey dyn licht mit eer licht röyvt,
   Magst du ook leven hyr in schimp un schand
   Un sey in schöynhayt waan'n in hevens land,
   Streev' eer dryst na, dey use welt dat leven löyvt.

   Streev' eer na, dey puur un schöynhaytskral us straalt,
   Dey dy mit licht verbrend het sünner maten
   Un dy hyr gneterswart het achterlaten,
   Bit dat eer söyten straal dyn düüsternis in 't licht het haalt.

   Streev' eer man na, wyldes eer schöynhayt lüchtt,
   Eyr dat eyn unheylsnacht up eyrden kümt
   Un eer dat gralle licht up ewig nimt,
   So as dey swart, elendig schadden dat het richtt.

   Streev' lykers wyder! In 't schiksaal is dy 't schreven.
   Aan schadden kanst dey sün nich vinden.
   Eyr dat dey twey up eyns möött swinden,
   Blivt dey sün stult; d'n schadden wardt minachten geven.

(German-based Spelling)

   Streev' dien helle sünn na
   vun Thomas Campion (1567-1620)
   Översetten vun R. F. Hahn, ©2003

   Streev' dien helle Sünn na, oh elennig Schadden!
   Du magst wull swart sien as de Nacht,
   Ehr Angesicht vun Strahlen lacht,
   Streev' liekers wieder, oh elennig Schadden!

   Streev' ehr na, de dien Licht mit ehr Licht röövt,
   Magst du ok leven hier in Schimp un Schand
   Un se in Schöönheit wahn'n in Hevens Land,
   Streev' ehr driest na, de use Welt dat Leven löövt.

   Streev' ehr na, de puur un schöönheitskrall us strahlt,
   De di mit Licht verbrennt hett sünnermaten
   Un di hier gneterswart het achterlaten,
   Bit dat ehr söten Strahl dien Düüsternis in 't Licht hett haalt.

   Streev' ehr man na, wieldes ehr Schöönheit lücht,
   Eer dat een Unheelsnacht up Eerden kümmt
   Un ehr dat gralle Licht up ewig nimmt,
   So as de swart, elennig Schadden dat hett richt.

   Streev' liekers wieder! In 't Schiksaal is di 't schreven.
   Aan Schadden kannst de Sünn nich finnen.
   Eer dat de twee up eens möött swinnen,
   Blifft de Sünn stult; den Schadden ward Minnachten geven.