LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.11.06 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 6 16:06:46 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.NOV.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Idiomatica

Críostóir said:
"Does anyone know where the English Midlands term of endearment 'mi duck'
(my duck) comes from? It's only used to refer to women and is always fondly
used - no offence is intended, unlike the slightly patronising (in my
opinion) standard English equivalent 'my dear'."

I suppose my surname (Duckworth) makes me especially qualified to comment on
this!

This use of 'duck' as a term of endearment was formerly not confined to the
English Midlands, and as an alternative to 'darling' or 'dear' it dates back
to the 16th century. Other variations on the word were _ducky_ or
_ducks_._Ducky_  or  _duckie_ was also a name for the female breast, which
is now obsolete; this may come from the word _dug(s)_ for 'teats' or
_breasts_, also common up to the 16th century but which has subsequently
fallen into disuse.

I think the term of endearment comes from the name of the bird, and the term
_duck_  (Old English _duce_, with long or short _u_ ; from Germanic terms
for 'to duck' or 'to dive' [ Old Frisian _dûka_, Middle Low German / Middle
Dutch _dûken_ ( > Modern Dutch _duiken_), Old High German _tûhhan_ (> Modern
High German _tauchen_). To refer to the fairer sex using term normally used
for birds is, of course, not uncommon in world languages : in English for
instance we use the politically incorrect terms _bird_ and _chick_.

What is interesting about the MIdlands use of the the word is that you say
it is used only to women; the word _duck_  was originally used to denote the
female of the species (and was leter applied to the whole species), the male
still, of course, being called the _drake_. Perhaps the Midland dialects of
English continued to preserve this distinction.

This discussion of the phrase _mi duck_ makes me think of two other similar
idioms. One of them is very pertinent to the Lowlands theme of this list:
_my old dutch_  , which seems to be considered by lexicographers to be a
form of the second idiom, _duchess_. Both _my old dutch_ and _the duchess_
seem (to my mind) to be associated with the London area and especially the
Cockney Dialect. _Duchess_ was used to refer to any girl or woman, and often
specifically referred to the speaker's wife or mother. I am not sure,
though, that  _my old dutch_ is gender specific, I have an idea that it can
refer to males or females.

John Duckworth
Preston, Lancashire

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>

Dear Lowlanders,

In the wake of the discussion about _mi duck_, another query sprang to my
mind.

In the Scouse or Liverpudlian dialect (from Liverpool) they often use a term
of address (to males only, I think) _wak_ (or maybe this should be written
_wach_ ), pronounced [wax]. Does anyone have any idea what the origin of thi
s word is?

They use another term of address too, _la_, pronounced [la:], I presume this
just comes from the word _lad_, meaning 'boy', 'young man' ?

John Duckworth
Preston, Lancashire

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>

Holger Weigelt wrote:
"If "duck" is used in it's basical meaning - the waterbird - and not in
a different meaning of a special subculture which I don't know, this term
reminds me of the common term of endearment "tüüt" "tüütje"
(chicken, little chicken) (mīn tüüt) - sometimes germanized, sounding
"tüüdī" - or "tüütāj" (hen's egg) used toward girls or women in Eastern
Friesland Low Saxon.

This reminds me of the word _chuck_ which is used as a term of endearment,
and a common form of address in Liverpool, and must be an old word for
'chicken'.. I have heard it from non-Scousers though, as far away as
Manchester. In Preston we used to tell children to eat their _chucky eggs_,
i.e. their hen's eggs, and in Australia of course _chuck_ is a common word
for 'chicken.' At one time this word must have been more widesperead in the
North of England (in the meaning 'chicken' and as a term of endearment), and
Emile Brontë actually uses it in one of her books. In Liverpool I think it
fair to say that _chuck_ would be used by a woman to a man or woman, or (to
a lesser extent though) by a man to a woman.
Other terms of address commonly used in the North of England are _luv_ that
is certainly used (by women to male/female, or by male to female) throughout
Lancashire and encroaching into Liverpool. (I imagine it is used in
Yorkshire too but can't remember for certain; I have heard it on the
Yorkshire-based soap-opera Emmerdale however.) And in the
Newcastle-upon-Tyne area (the Geordie dialect area) the word _pet_ is
commonly used, and, although I am open to correction, I would say that _pet_
is used by men to men and women as well as by women to both genders. Indeed
the phrase that is considered throughout England to typify the Geordie
dialect is _way-aye pet!_, which means something like 'Certainly, dear!'

Many years ago a young German teacher was visiting me in Preston and I took
her to a tobacconist shop to buy a pipe for her father. The woman serving
was very helpful but insisted on ending every sentence with the word _luv_.
The pipe was duly purchased, but when the German lady left the shop she was
most indignant, raving about the fact that she did not appreciate being
referred to as 'love' by other women, and eapecially by women she did not
know at all.

John Duckworth

Preston, UK.

----------

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.05 (08) [E]

Thanks, Holger.

No trickery involved: 'duck' is simply that. I think
some northern English variants (as well as Scots,
although I am too ill-informed to comment on it) use
'hen' as we in the Midlands use 'duck'. There must be
some kind of common Lowlandic element in referring to
people, affectionately, as fowl.

Why 'duck' in some areas, but 'hen' in another?
Nottingham and Derbyshire are no more inundated with
ducks than they are hens (or chickens or geese for
that matter).

Criostóir.