LL-L "Traditions" 2003.11.12 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 12 22:16:16 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.NOV.2003 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Traditions"

> From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
> Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2003.11.11 (06) [E]
>
> No exactly richt Sandy. I was a medical Entomologist from 1957 until 1995
> and am very familiar with plague epidemiology.
> Much of the initial infestations began from rats leaving ships docked in
> harbours. Rats also were transported around in wagons of foodstuffs for
> great distances and even among personal possessions.
> Main problem though is there is a much worse variant of plague known as
> Pneumonic. This is transmitted by coughs and sneezes and is the
> really fast
> mover once initial reservoirs are established from Xenopsylla
> cheopis fleas

But none of this demonstrates that this is what the Black Death actually
was. Epidemiologists seem to think they know, but there is never any
demonstration that any particular known disease was the Black Death.

> leaving dead rats. This is commemorated in the rhyme by the closing lines
> "Husha! Husha !
> All fall down !'

This is the sort of thinking we should be trying to avoid. We don't know
that the song is actually commemorating the Black Death, so we can't
identify what the Black Death was from the mention of sneezing in the song.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/