LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.14 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 15 00:37:09 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.NOV.2003 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.14 (02) [E]

on 15/11/03 1:21, Thomas byro <thbyro at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dr. Tobach crazy that
> someone kept stuffing a cigarette into the turtles mouth, so much so that
> she eventually had the turtle protected by a lucite case.  Guess who the
> culprit was?
You wicked anthropomorphist you ! :-)
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2003.11.13 (09) [E]

on 14/11/03 11:04, Reynaldo Castro <damy_castro at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Is it rude to use this 'oi/oy' or not? If not, where is it used apart from
> London?
Certainly not. Folks of Jewish, Russian, and Polish extraction use this
frequently but more as an expression of mild surprise than a greeting.
In Edinburgh Scotland a very common greeting in my days was 'Ay ay'.
Query on Brazilian dialect. An Aussie colleague of mine spent some years in
Brazil where he was amazed to find the local name given to your large
flightless bird, the rhea, was 'Emu'. This of course is what we call our
indigenous equivalent here wonder how the name is identical ?

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Oy, mien Macker Tom!

Sat'dee awready in Oz, huh?

> Query on Brazilian dialect. An Aussie colleague of mine spent some years
in
> Brazil where he was amazed to find the local name given to your large
> flightless bird, the rhea, was 'Emu'.

I think he meant Portuguese _emeu_, _ema_ or _eme_ (Spanish _ñandu_, _Rhea
Americanus_), perhaps based on Gë (~ Ge) _mã_ or a cognate in a related
indigenous language of Amazonia.  Surely a coincidence.  Don't you think?

[A minute or so later, the plot is thickening ...]

Oh!!!  No, no, no!  Apparently not!  There *is* a connection!  I just
checked.  I had always assumed that "emu" (_Dromaius novaehollandiae_) was
based on an indigenous Australian word, but apparently it came from
Portuguese _emu_ < _emeu_ (according to the Oxford Dictionary)!!!
Originally it referred to 'cassowary' (< Malay _kasuari_, _Casuarius
casuarius_, a bird of Northeastern Australia and some Eastern Indonesian
islands).  But where did Portuguese get the word?  Is it native or loaned.
I assume the latter, since apparently there is no Spanish cognate.  Perhaps
a South or Southeast Asian language?  I wish I had a Portuguese etymological
dictionary at hand.

Cassowaries and emus both belong to the family of _Dromiceidae_, order
_Casuariiformes_.

Interesting!