LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.16 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 16 18:59:27 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 16.NOV.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Allison Turner-Hansen <hallison at gte.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.14 (06) [E]

Dear Ron,
    Thanks for the information, below.  I didn't realize the cod was dried,
but that makes perfect sense: ludefisk is hominy fish.  (hominy is dried
corn rehydrated in a lye solution; grits are ground hominy.)  I once had a
friend from Newfoundland whose favorite dish was a stew of dried cod and
potatoes.  I don't know whether the lye was used, but it wouldn't surprise
me.

Less hungry now,
Allison Turner-Hansen

> > P.S. In Minnesota some will eat a Scandinavian dish of fish prepared
with
> > lye, called 'ludefisk' or something like that.  Is this done in the
> lowland
> > areas as well?  If so, what is it called?
>
> It's fairly well-known here in the Seattle area, too, due to a sizeable
> Scandinavian community (with close links to the Minnesota communities).
In
> fact, there is an annual lutefisk eating contest here -- not something for
> the faint-hearted, I'm afraid.  It is dried cod rehydrated (for hours) and
> then boiled (e.g.,
> http://www.sofn.com/norwegianculture/recipes/Lutefisk.html).  Actually, it
> tends to smell worse than it tastes.  It is _lutefisk_ ['lʉ(ː)tefɪsk] in
> Norwegian (dialectal also _ludefisk_), _lutfisk_ ['lʉ(ː)tfɪsk] in Swedish,
> and _ludfisk_ ['luːðfɪsk] in Danish, the first part of the compound being
> derived from words for "to wash in lye."  I can't speak for the
Netherlands

----------

From: Thomas byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.11.15 (07) [E/S]

Ron

Thank you.    Your recipes look familiar.  I wish I had been more observant
when my mother cooked.  Getting the right kind of sour pickles is no
problem here.  Gus's Pickles, formerly of Essex Street in the lower east
side, and now  located on Orchard Street, sells world class sour pickles.
There is sometimes a line a block long  of people from all over the world
who insist on getting the best.  Gus's will ship pickles anywhere.  Now
they have half sour and full sour pickles. I much prefer full sour.  I
bough a jar of sour pickles in the supermarket once and threw it away.  The
taste was not even remotely authentic.

I am going to have to work on getting the right kind of herring.  Maybe
Schaller & Weber.  I just moved back to the city and have not been there in
years.

My children have not followed in my culinary footsteps.  They used to make
gagging noises while watching me eat bratherring, smoked eel and other
foods.

tom