LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 17 16:58:43 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.NOV.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jenny Kool <j.kool at reginacoeli.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2003.11.14 (15) [D/E]

> Hulp! Heeft iemand een etymologisch Nederlands woordenboek? Wat is de
> oorsprong van het woord "makker"?  By voorbaat bedankt.

Dear Ron,
Some small comments on your Dutch, I don't know whether that is appropriate
or not...
Hulp is a noun, e.g. "I need help" is "ik heb hulp nodig".
Helpen is the verb, help can be first person singular: "Ik help jou", but it
can also be the imperative, and that's the way you used it here...

At the moment, I don't have a etymologisch woordenboek at hand right now, so
I tried the internet.
I typed in 'makker' in a Dutch search engine, and I found a couple of dog
breeding and training schools with that name... Some type of labrador seems
to be referred to as 'makker'. I'm not really into dogs, so I might be
wrong.

For now, I want to add, that we used to sing a song around this time of the
year, it is a Sinterklaasliedje, and contains the sentence:

"Makkers staakt uw wild geraas
het heerlijk avondje is gekomen,
het avondje van Sinterklaas."

(~Friends, stop making noise and running around,
 the wonderful evening has arrived,
the evening of Saint Nic.)

As kids, we never really understood the first sentence, but we sang it
anyway, scared as we were we wouldn't get any gifts from Sinterklaas and his
Zwarte Pieten.

Jenny Huijben-Kool